'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Stress Signals: Clear as Day

About a week ago, on the train back from my university, a small dog (a JRT cross, I think) got on the train roughly fifteen minutes before the end of the line, where I get off. It was, of course, freezing cold; the temp was hovering at about 0C. The little, long-legged dog had a padded coat on, and crawled onto her owner's lap as soon as he sat down.

She spent the entire journey wide-eyed, repeatedly licking her lips, panting and shivering. She showed the clearest stress signals I have ever seen in a dog, and I hope I never see anything that bad again. Poor girl.

No comments: