'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 30 December 2010

Expanding Her Horizons.

Today we took Lola to visit my mum's friend's house. It's about a forty minute drive each way there on the motorway, and on the way she threw up twice (using up two of the three towels I'd brought, urgh). She was also extremely shy when we got there; the stress of being on a motorway for only the second time, being on the longest drive we've done so far and being in a new house with strange new people all resulted in a whiny, clingy dog.

She slept on me for an hour or so, and when she awoke I took her outside to go to the toilet and explore. We went to the Waterloo Road set (a school roughly a minute's walk from Doreen's) and I snapped a couple of shots of Lola exploring the gates outside the set, and the graffiti-covered buildings beside it. When we returned, Lola was more awake and lively and snuffled around the house, before making friends with her 'uncle Dek' as he was feeding her little bits of the crisps he was eating. Usually, I don't allow the puppy to be handfed by people who are eating, but her awkward shyness with strangers meant that I wasn't bothered: if she was happy to take food from Derek, that was good enough for me. She even did start begging for food from him, sitting about half a metre away and giving him her laser eyes, to no avail.

When a couple of old dog toys were brought out, L fell in love with a pig that was a little bigger than her. She ragged it around, bit it, pounced on it, fled from it in a huge circle and then bounced back to bite it, and so on. Even a squeaky ball couldn't distract her attention for long from her beloved pig: I'll have to get her one soon.

By the time we arrived home (without any sick on the way back, even though we stopped for twenty minutes to pick up some Dominos pizza) Lola was tuckered out... sleeping for all of an hour before returning to her usual 'play with me!' energy with poor old sleepy Jess.

I'm glad to be back home, though, and not have to watch L with beady eyes every second she's on the floor.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Lola's adorable!!

Jess and Lola said...

Thanks! Maisy's adorable too, though I confess I thought she was an oversized Maltese terrier or something when I first saw her, haha.