'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Wednesday, 1 December 2010

Lola.


After university yesterday, I took J for a walk in the snow. It was much heavier than before--actual snow, rather than patches of snow/frost--and she wasn't all that impressed. We headed afterwards to ASDA, and then, at about 5pm, we picked up Lola.

Lola and Jess got on alright. Some sniffing and careful glances from J, with vague curiousity from L. A couple of accidents later (once when Mum was watching her, and twice in the crate; she wasn't impressed by being in it, despite having been crate-trained for her entire life so far), after playing and generally keeping everyone calm for now, I headed to bed on the downstairs couch. I wanted L to know she wasn't utterly alone, having come from a big litter (nine puppies born!) from a family that already had three adult dogs (including the mother).

Bad plan. From about one until three in the morning, she cried. And cried. She screamed, threw herself around her crate, yelped, whimpered. Anything and everything she could do, she did. (But no accidents overnight! Success, I suppose.) Apparently, she was still crying when Mum came down at half past three, but I was dead to the world then.

Other than the crate crying problem, she's having a little, um, difficulty in being seperated from me. If I go upstairs, leaving her under Mum's watch, she cries. If I go take Jess out for a walk, she cries (though she did apparently stop quite quickly; maybe knowing I wasn't in the house helped?). If I wash up in the kitchen, regardless of whether or not the door is open and she can be around me, she cries. (Whilst washing up, she even tried clambering up my jeans a few times to get into my lap. Obviously, this didn't work very well.)

Urgh. Tonight, Lola's downstairs, on her own, in the crate. Hopefully being alone--and the many toys she has--will be enough to keep her calm enough (and quiet enough) to sleep. I'm feeding her in the crate, trying to make her sleep in the crate when she dozes throughout the day (with the crate door open), giving her treats in the crate, etc, and yet even this doesn't seem to be helping very much.


I hope she sleeps all night.

No comments: