'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Saturday, 29 January 2011

Distractions and Annoyances.


Today, when we went out, I decided to test Lola's 'paw'. In hindsight, it was probably not the best idea to do so when I only had dry kibble and when she was off-lead with dogs nearby; but she performed brilliantly. Throughout the walk, I asked her five times for her paw and each time she smacked the back of my hand with it. I really need to work on softness, though: I now have little cuts oozing blood on the knuckles of one hand. Hm.


Jess was an idiot on the walk. She was on a contraption made up of her usual lead (around my waist), a bungee rope and the 10ft or so long lead. It didn't give her much freedom, but maybe that was for the best. She was grumpier than usual, snarking in particular at a boxer and yappy spaniel, perhaps due to her current upset stomach. She's still passing mostly yellow fluid; not nice at all.


On the way home, I saw an elderly woman trying to dominate her excited spaniel: 'NO, you CAN'T GO OUT THE DOOR FIRST, heel!! HEEL!' There comes a point where even the most stubborn person can see a method isn't working: but people in my area seem more stubborn than anywhere else. DT is the leading camp; R+ just hasn't made a mark yet.

No comments: