'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Exploring the Unexplored.

Thought - Inspiration - Idea - Concept.

Today we visited the Millenium Green. It's a place only five minutes or so from me--about as far as the park we usually go to--but I always forget about it for some reason. I generally don't bother with that side of town; and I'm a creature of habit, lazily just visiting the same places over and over again.



The Millenium Green is a really cool place. It runs past Pendle Water; on one side of the canal you have the Green, on the other side you have the beginning of the industrial estate. It's an interesting juxtaposition. I love taking photos of the girls in places where nature meets humanity; what better way to echo the nature of dogs themselves, little shreds of tamed wilderness.



The girls enjoyed getting out--and I enjoyed taking them somewhere that wasn't that filthy. Alkincoates Park is huge, and absolutely slick with mud when it has rained within the last five or six days. Hell, if there's been dew in the past couple of days, Alkies will still be wet. The Green, however, wasn't too bad. It was definitely better than just an on-lead walk around town.


The girls' Busy Buddy Twist'N'Treat arrived today. Jess immediately clamped a foot on it and began rolling it around, rather than trying to pick it up and then drop it as she does with her Kong. I quite like the design of it; it screws quickly and easily into place, and can be adjusted very easily to change the difficulty with which they can get at the treats. Jess had it on the second-hardest twist, but I'll probably let Lola have it on a slightly easier mode when she has a try tomorrow.




The girls have been quiet since we got back from the Green. Maybe the graffiti-like awesomeness of the place has struck them silent, for once.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I love the question mark scultpure!

Misty has the twist n treat all figured out. So does Oreo, but his method is to bite off huge chunks of rubber to get to the treats.

Jess and Lola said...

It's great--and new, I think! I don't remember seeing it last time I was there, maybe five or so months ago.

I think Jess understands it, but I'm waiting to see if Lola does; it's in the freezer right now with some peanut butter and treats in, and she'll get it tomorrow whilst I shower.

I'm amazed; I'd have thought bulldozer Misty would have been the one biting off the chunks, and clever-boy Oreo daintily batting it around. :)