'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 6 January 2011

House Rules.

Taken Monday 3rd January, edited with GIMP 2.
  
Since we got Lola, we've been using NILIF to help her learn her manners. If she wants to come up on a chair or sit on me, she has to 'sit' or 'touch' first. If she wants to go through a door, she has to 'sit'. If she wants to chase a toy I'm holding, she has to 'down'. If she wans to go in or out of her crate, she has to 'sit' and 'wait' until released.

All of this has made her, so far, a lovely little girl. She's still not 100% with her crate--not even remotely--but she's quick and keen to learn, and her sit and touch are now perfectly generalized to just about anywhere. She can sit in the bath with a small amount of water, or whilst teetering on a gappy bench, or in front of me whilst I dash around. She has a problem with getting over-excited and jumping at my knees if I'm sat down and don't notice that, look mum I'm sat here can I come up now?! But other than that, she's doing well.

Training is a little slow at the moment, mostly due to my own laziness. We train each morning using her breakfast (mixed with a few treats to keep her interested), and she can definitely differentiate between sit and down from a stand, and she's also learning how to sit from a down. 'Stand' isn't coming along so great (oddly, it's also a command that took me years, on-off, to train Jess; so it might be that it's *me* that is the problem with it), but she'll 'touch' from up to a few metres away. Although by Monday she is supposed to have a one minute sit-stay, we're working instead on... teaching her to beg on the cue of 'meerkat'.

Me, procrastinate? Never.

No comments: