'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 31 January 2011

Today: Walking, Falling, Sliding.

Took Lola (on her own--Jess is still recooperating!) to a New Place (for her at least) today. And she did very well! She was pretty confident about exploring--when I wasn't running away from her--and she even played with a BIG DOG without any fuss whatsoever. Silly pup.


I ran away from her a few minutes into the walk, and hurtled into the kid's park bit. She did a couple of laps around, screeching her head off, with me laughing fit to burst before I thought to flip out the camera. Then, of course, she figured it out.


For the first time, she got to see/play on something new: moving surfaces. There are literally none other than at this park (close to a friend's house) near me, but she didn't seem at all fazed by it.


In fact, I'd go as far as to say she enjoyed herself. She loves to chase.


She did not enjoy me running away and hiding up on top of the slide, though. Or being forced to try and scale the slide for my enjoyment.


I think that this game was more fun, though I nearly dropped the camera. Not a great plan, in hindsight.


We had a couple of ups and downs on the way to, during and on the way back from the park. On the way there, Lola decided to flinch and try to flee whenever a lorry went past, regardless of which side of the road it was on. (And, obviously, there were lots of big, noisy lorries out today. Naturally.) I had her sit and touch for treats as the lorries went past; by the time we headed back, she was happy to carry on walking as they went past on the other side of the road, and gave only wide eyes and an ear flick when they went past on our side.


And L--she who flirts with other dogs and screeches when they move toward her--played with a dog. A big dog. I think she was in love; she got very wiggly, play-bowing constantly, barking to invite play, etc. He was tolerant of her silliness, thankfully!


Oh yeah, and one last thing. The last time I called Lola, I may have run away from her (which I do, sometimes, to increase her drive to get-back-quick!). I then may have slipped, and may have slid down a muddy bank on my backside. I may have then had to walk home hoping my coat would keep the muddiness hidden. Of course, this may not have happened at all. I wish.


My not-entirely, not-quite, no-longer-Sunday Summary will be up... eventually. Damned procrastination.

No comments: