'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Another Not-So-Great Morning: Hurrah for February.

I was woken up this morning, before my alarm went off, by the dogs whining and moving around. I got up to take them outside and heard my mum screaming. I headed into her room quickly, with the dogs in tow. Lola barked at her (obviously alarmed by the intermittent scream/keening noise she was making) and Jess tried to jump on the bed to see her.

I got Amanda up, and we had the ambulance there within five or so minutes. Mum's blood sugar was awfully low - 1.8, where it really needs to be between 4 and 7. They had to put an oxygen mask on her and give her a glucose drip, and it was only after that that Mum seemed to come to a little; focusing on people, trying to claw the oxygen mask off of her face.

They managed to get her back to normal (blood sugar 9.1 before they left) and she's fine now, just dry mouthed and a little shaky. I'm staying off university to be with her and keep an eye on her.

It is not good that this is her second incident in three days. She hasn't had one previously for about a year, the New Years Eve before last. I hope these problems stop; they are really horrible, and we were all panicked, including the dogs.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Oh, wow, that's scary. I hope you're all feeling better soon, especially your mum.

Sophie said...

It was pretty scary, and mum was upset today about it - kind of a delayed reaction to it, I think, as yesterday she was more making jokes and such. She's got a sick note from the doctor for a week though, so she can relax at home and wait for her blood sugar levels to sort themselves out.