'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 22 February 2011

Growing Up.

Earlier today, I caught Lola chewing something - which she wouldn't trade for kibble, as she usually will. I was worried she'd gotten something dangerous (as I'd been eating chocolate biscuits in the room ten minutes or so before, and I'm paranoid about them ingesting things that are poisonous) and wanted to keep it, so I pried open her jaws and looked inside. And I was rewarded with blood on my fingers, and the guess that she was chewing a tooth. Okay, ew.

I promptly put it out of my mind, as I am wont to do, and about ten minutes ago we were playing around (all of us wrestling and playing tug) when this happened:



It's the first tooth of Lola's that I've seen (and I'm not sure how many she's lost so far), and it's so tiny! But it's still bigger than I thought it would be, truth be told. And I guess this is the biggest sign so far that my little hand-sized bundle of chub and fur is growing up.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Awww. Save it! I bet Lola's going to want to chew on lots of stuff the next few weeks.

I have a couple of Oreo's teeth, and my first sheltie's too. I put them in plastic bags and put them in their baby books.