'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 28 February 2011

One Puppy = Lots of Noise.

The last couple of days have been hectic; basically, since Angela moved in on Friday. She's now in the little room where Lola has previously been kept. When L first saw her (she was in the kitchen with Jess when Ang brought her stuff in; didn't want to risk either of them dashing out of the door), she was in my mum's bedroom talking to her. Lola had a fit of barks, because she had forgotten someone else was in the house (which is something she does - if someone reappears from upstairs after a few hours, if they've been quiet, she barks at them for a moment or two occasionally). After that, though, she gave her a wide berth for five minutes or so and then was fine the following day.

On Saturday evening, Lola met two of my mum's friends: a man and a woman. The woman she didn't get to see much (she was really agitated, barking manically - the previous disruption to the house and the fact that everyone was getting ready to go out, bar Angela, meant that she was already on edge), and the man she eventually calmed enough to sit near whilst I was in the room. As soon as I left, she stuck to me: I swished into my room, and she followed; she followed me into the bathroom; and downstairs; and into the front room; and so on. She was obviously stressed--she would curl up at my feet whenever I stopped for more than a few seconds, but as soon as I moved she followed at my heels. Poor baby.

Yesterday morning she didn't see my mum's female friend, but the man (who is like a brother to her) stayed over; and Lola was not happy. She barked at him when he came in, settled down eventually, then barked when he made a sudden movement to pick up his drink (from her place on the couch/my lap). When he moved toward us to go into the kitchen, she fled the couch and scurried away from him further into the kitchen, and barked some more before settling. She later watched him move around without a peep. If I'd had the presence of mind, I would have removed her to give her chance to calm down; my head and stomach were hurting enough that all I could do was to mutter 'shut up' and give her treats and strokes when she was quiet.


We may have played 'pose the puppy!' the other day, too.

1 comment:

Sara said...

The photos are so cute :)

That was a lot of new house stuff for Lola! Dogs are so sensitive to changes, aren't they?