'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 6 February 2011

Sunday Summary.

Dogs - Physical - Lola
Height: 9.5 inches.
Length: about 12 inches.

Dogs - Training
> Lola's 'bang, bang' is coming along great! She will now do it for either my mum or myself, anywhere around the house, with about 90% accuracy. She'll even do it in front of other people in the house (she gets easily distracted by more exciting things, like people she knows and likes), and with Jess a couple of inches from her. The next step is to practice outside of the house, and lift the accuracy to about 95% on one cue before I pronounce it 'done'.
> We've been doing some more shaping; I'm working on getting Lola to put her front paws up on a stool at the moment, eventually to the cue 'knees up'. I'm going to then change it to putting her paws on people's knees, other solid items, etc. She seemed to really, really enjoy working with the stool tonight especially--no frustrated barking or whining, and she only stopped and stared at me twice in a five min session.
> Tonight, we started work on a double-dog trick: Lola targeting Jessie's muzzle with her own. So far, L seems to be enjoying herself (though I've had to be very careful not to c/t any aggressive behaviour from Lola, who isn't always happy to have Jess too close when we're training), and J was happy to sit there and be fed treats every two-three times Lola got a treat. I'm hoping to add a cue, and then give it some distance in the next couple of days, so that I can ask Lola to 'find your sister.' I'm not sure if I'll be teaching Jess to do the same, though; something tells me that L won't be quite as happy to sit still and be used as target practice.

No comments: