'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 13 February 2011

Sunday Summary.


Dogs - Physical (Lola):
Height: 10 inches.
Length: about 12.25 inches.

Dogs - Training:
> Lola's 'find your sister' is going great--though it's no longer just targeting Jess' muzzle with her own. We're at the point where she has about 90% accuracy (though not from cold), and will run to and jump at Jess from the other side of the room.
> We've been working on Lola's fear of her crinkly cat-tunnel, and she'll now run through it (working on putting that to cue; it'll be good to get her used to that little tunnel, so she can charge through, before we do any work on agility) a lot of the time, though she does sometimes still put a paw in and leap back as if shocked.
> I spent today's food (most of breakfast and dinner) for Lola working on shaping something new: Lola biting my finger. It sounds weird--it's at odds with teaching her not to bite--but I think it might help in having her let me touch her muzzle/mouth whilst she's 'working.' After a five min session this morning, she was readily nipping/mouthing at my finger; after tonight's session she was taking my finger in her mouth, though chewing it a little. There was only one time when she bit my finger--this morning, accidentally--but since then she's had quite a soft mouth, even when excited. It might be a good idea for me to do it a couple of times a week, to help get her to be/keep her relaxed about my hands near and on her mouth, and to help promote no nipping.

No comments: