'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Saturday, 12 March 2011

Breeds I eventually want to own.

So with Crufts being on these last couple of days, I've been thinking about the dog breeds I eventually want to own. There's a whole lot of them - and if I ever have a couple of weeks spare, I should research the hell out of them. This list is mostly based on appearance, temperament in the breed standard and general things I've heard about exercise requirements, drive, etc. Groupings are divided by the Kennel Club categories.

Hound
Saluki
Whippet

Working
Alaskan Malamute
Greenland Dog
Siberian Husky

Gundog
Kooikerhondje
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

Terrier
Jack Russell Terrier
Norfolk Terrier

Utility
Japanese Shiba Inu
Schipperke

Pastoral
Australian Cattle Dog
Australian Shepherd
Belgian Shepherd (Groenendael)
Belgian Shepherd (Tervueren)
Border Collie
Estrela Mountain Dog
Finnish Lapphund
Icelandic Sheepdog
Norwegian Buhund
Samoyed
Shetland Sheepdog
Swedish Vallhund

Toy
Papillon
Pomeranian


Nope, there's no massive amount of Pastoral dogs that I want. I don't know what you're talking about. I need to move to the country so I can get all the dogs.

No comments: