'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 18 March 2011

Six Months Old.


So the little rat is six months old today, which means she's been with me nearly four months and I haven't strangled her with her ears or dropkicked her into the wall when she's refusing to pee yet (though I've threatened to do so many a time - with her pricking her ears and wagging her tail because of my high pitched happy-puppy! voice). That's an achievement right there.

Another achievement was today's walk. As I've posted before, Lola is a little wary of children - they run and are small alien creatures and generally seem to creep her out. She's also scared of things that drag along the floor; such as suitcases, skateboards and prams. Today, I accidentally timed a library trip so that we were coming back along my street when the primary school across the road finished. Children were everywhere, but not a single yap came from my puppy's mouth. She held good eye contact with me (for kibble, obviously), and at one point she even sat next to me as, just less than a metre away, a woman pushing a pram with two loud children went past.

I love my silly, intelligent little pup. Here's to years together, Ro!*

(* Providing I don't succumb to temptation and devour her head, that is.)

5 comments:

Sara said...

Happy 6 month Lola! You are a treasure.

Congrats on putting up with those noisy children!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awww... happy 6 months Lola!! What a good girl to deal with all those loud kids! Hope you keep being a good girl so your mom doesn't strangle you or devour your head - LOL!

Eliza Keating said...

such lovely photos...glad I came across your post

Sophie said...

Thanks Sara, I like to think she's a treasure too... when I'm not threatening her with bodily violence, of course! :)

Ricky, she really does deserve it sometimes! Especially when it's last thing at night and she doesn't want to get her paws cold by going outside.

Eliza, thank you! Feel free to stick around - I put a lot of photos up :) I sometimes worry I have a problem!

Diana said...

Lola is very cute!!