'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 20 March 2011

Tricks.

Lola, these last two days, is on fire! We were on restricted activity (mental and physical) until then; she gets over-excited when we're working on new tricks, and I didn't want her leaping around and tearing her stitches open (she's been very good about that - she hasn't scratched and she stops trying to lick as soon as I instruct her to 'leave it').
Yesterday, it took two sessions to shape her barking at me (I have never before been able to get verbalisation on cue!) on a pretty good cue. It's not 100% of course, but around the house all I have to do is growl 'rrrrrruff!' at her and she'll bounce around and bark at me. She really loves it, too!

We've also been working on a little circus-style trick (though reduced because of her age) - her jumping on my back/shoulders, whilst I'm sat. When she's older, I'll graduate to have her jumping at me from a chair whilst I'm stood and bent; but for now I'm just happy to get what we have on cue.

Her trick for next Tricky T-Day is still being worked on, and that's coming along swimmingly too, even if Jess can be silly about staying in one place whilst L dives around her.

And finally, we've been working more on her acceptance of being brushed with a wire slicker. She really doesn't like it, since it pulls at her fur, but it'll be helpful now to get her used to it in case I need to use a slicker more when she's older. It just depends how scruffy she gets. I'm not going to make her sit there whilst I scrape it along her skin, but if we can get to the point where she will remain still for several light brushes, I'll be more than happy.

3 comments:

Sara said...

It is so hard to keep dogs from jumping. Good job keeping her busy and happy.

Looking forward to your next tricky t-day!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We have seen that "on fire" reaction too after a period of relative inactivity due to injury or illness - makes me think we should take mini breaks each week. But there is so much to train that it is hard to take a break! Glad Lola is doing so well and I can't wait to see your next video!

Sophie said...

Thanks Sara! She's pretty easy to keep calm really, especially for a bouncy little JRT pup. It makes my job a lot easier.

Ricky, I think we'd lose the benefit if we did a break each week! And I know how much there is to train - I've got four tricks on the go right now, haha. :)