'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 1 March 2011

Tricky T-Day 2.

I've had a lot of stuff this past week - lots of university work, going out last weekend, Angela moving in on Friday (and she then moved out again about half an hour ago: so Lola has her room back!), so I haven't really worked on much, and the trick we are still developing is very much in the training stage still. So I grabbed Lola's ball, and decided to see if she remembered that...

...And it turns out she did! We still need to work on getting her to bring it to me without occasionally dashing off - and reduce the rate of treats - and get it so that she can grab the ball on cue and fetch it after a couple of minutes has lapsed. She's doing pretty well considering we haven't played around with ball for weeks; but it's still a W.I.P. Next week, we'll have something 'proper' up!


Tricky T-Day 2: Ball.

(Apologies for the poor quality! Apparently 8pm isn't a great time to shoot videos; everything goes fuzzy, heh.)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Ha, she's so sweet!

I'm actually working this with Oreo...he's great at fetching...it's the bringing it back that is a problem. He wants me to catch him first!

Sophie said...

She only brings it back for treats - as soon as I stop treating every time, I bet she'll stop bringing it back!

Aww, silly Oreo :)