'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Saturday, 26 March 2011

Videos Ahoy.

After seeing Ricky's impressive display of listening to cues behind a closed door, I decided to try with one of my beasties. Jess, I knew, would just wander off so she didn't get to play - Lola tried her best for me, though.

It was a fun little experience! We might start doing stuff like this more often in the future. It'll definitely be helpful for increasing how Lola can generalise behaviours!


This video is just a generic vid of stuff Lola knows, pretty solidly, out and about. It's not all her tricks, because my treats were already waning at this point (yesterday was the first time ever I ran out of treats whilst on a walk!), but just a vid of some things she has down quite well.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm going to have to try the behind the door thing, just for pure amusement!

Lola did excellent! She's learned so much in her short life.

Sophie said...

It's pretty fun :) That was our second attempt actually - first time, I forgot to set the camera going. I feel like I'm bragging sometimes, but she really is pretty clever.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Great job on the behind the door trick!! Lola is so smart and so very cute too!