'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 6 March 2011

Walkies.

There's a beautiful "circular trail" near me--about a fifteen minute's walk away--that I visit a few times a year. The reason I don't go more often, despite the hugeness (and the lack of dogs that go there - today, I saw a single woman with two dogs, and it was a beautiful day at a prime dog walking time), is that it is up a massive hill. It's the sort of hill that leaves you sweating and winded (despite wearing a strap-top in 5C weather), and even makes Jess, who constantly has to be just shy of pulling, walk neatly beside me.

However, I'm really glad now I went. I have a pair of clean dogs (they were overdue baths, hence why we went: it's a filthy walk, but it's fabulous), who have slept solidly for the best part of five/six hours, despite only being out for an hour and a half. It's not much more than their normal hour or so walk, but that's usually in the same park; there's a big change in them when there's fun things to smell and explore!

I'll let the photos speak for themselves! The best picture is being saved for Wednesday, though...





3 comments:

Sara said...

Looks like a great place for doggie exploration! A dirty dog is a happy dog....until they have to get a bath :)

Sophie said...

One dog (not the small, white dog, thankfully!) decided it'd be fun to blow off her recall entirely for about five minutes--despite having been really good the rest of the walk!--and waded into the thick reeds immediately around the little lake there. She hates water, too: I am pretty sure she was doing it to spite me.

So of course, as soon as we got back, I dunked them both in the bath and gave Jess an extra-long rinse out. She didn't look pleased! :)

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Awesome place!! Dogs do get sooooo dirty on walks this time of year but it's worth it. And I know what you mean about walking uphill - it's tough but a great workout!