'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Wednesday, 13 April 2011

Ball-Poppin' Fun.


So somebody, not naming any names (let's just say it wasn't the little rat!), decided to play fetch with me and Lola when I took the dogs out. By which, of course, I mean haring after Lola and only actually going for the ball maybe three times in every fifteen throws. And I remembered why Jess isn't allowed tennis balls when she decided to pop the ball when she got it for the second time. Hmph. Thankfully the ball flew well enough with the launcher that Lola wasn't deterred from chasing it rocket-fast.

Me and Ro have been working on a trick that actually doesn't involve her fetching something or jumping on/at me - spinning. So far she'll spin around either way for a very obvious hand gesture (circling my hand above her head in an exaggerated fashion), but by tomorrow evening's dinnertime session I expect she'll have it down enough to start introducing a cue. And speaking of which--

Cue names! I like cutesy things for Lola ('bang bang', 'meerkat', 'blitz', 'peekaboo', etc), and I was thinking 'tick tock' for a clockwise spin and 'time travel' for a counter-clockwise spin, but I'm not 100%... does anyone have any ideas?

Jess just has a generic 'spin', in whatever direction she so pleases (I think she does it clockwise), but I like to push Lola more. She's clever enough to take it all in her stride, anyway!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, you are so clever! I love 'tick tock'. That is so cute. I may steal that for when I train my next dog...we use the ol' "go right", "go left"...how boring.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

We use turn right, turn left - also boring but functional I thought if I ever wanted/needed to use directional cues in agility. Your cues are really creative!

Sophie said...

I'm trying to save the simpler left/right (and variations thereof) for agility directions, if I ever do agility, hence the more creative cues. :) Plus, I think Lola gets a kick out of showing off and making people laugh when they hear the silly cues!