'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 21 April 2011

Beach Dogs.


We took the dogs today to Blackpool beach, about forty five minutes drive away (except it took us an hour and a half to get to the beach because we got monumentally lost). However, what we did forget to do was check whether the tide would be out: and it wasn't. We couldn't get onto the sand area, as it was swallowed up by water, so we were only on the crowded steps. We arrived there about half 12, and left about 4, so the dogs are pretty exhausted now. Lola only threw up once, on the way there, and nobody threw up at all on the way back.

Both were quite good - Jess didn't bark at anything, and only lifted her hackles a couple of times at dogs that came too close. Lola yapped half a dozen times or so at people (mostly kids), and another three or four times at other dogs that she wanted to play with. However, there was one incident--when Lola was in my backpack--when a kid came quickly toward us, and got within a foot of Lola (trapped) in the bag. I moved my arm to try and push her head away and keep everyone safe, just as she barked and air-snapped, and accidentally caught the back of my arm. I have a very slight puncture, though no bleeding.

The 'puppy in the backpack' provided amusement for many though, and Lola was content to ride back in it as we headed for the car for about three quarters of a mile. When I tried to put her back down on the floor, she just gave me sad ears and jumped at my legs. Lazy pup.

And contrary to what the dogs might say, I did not try to drown them. I just may have dragged them into the sea, that's all (they both hated me for a few minutes afterward, but Lola swam! and Jess made a brave attempt to do the same!).










2 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Those are terrific photos! Looks like a super fun outing and I love Lola in the backpack! :)

Sophie said...

It really was fun! Lola enjoyed herself in the bag :)