'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 7 April 2011

Great News!



If everything I've got planned works out alright, I'll be attending a clicker free-shaping day (10am to 4pm!) in May. Free-shaping is something I have difficulty with--I can shape Lola to do an action on or near a particular thing, or slam her paws against Jess, but I have problems with shaping and capturing physical things. The 22nd May seminar should massively help me work on exactly that - 'The day focuses on teaching object interaction to help with directional and distance control, agility and assistance dogs support, physical movements from paw lifts and head turns to tail wags and lips licks, directional movement's like spins, turns and backwards circles.'



I'm extremely excited! I need to pay this weekend, to guarantee my place, and double-check that Mum can get the day off to drive me (since I'm still not able to drive, urgh - that's this summer's problem)... and then it'll all be arranged. Hurrah!



In other news, it's been lovely out the last couple of days, and today we celebrated by me and my friend Jenny walking Lola and Millie in the sunshine. The girls enjoyed it immensely; chasing each other and the ball without any competitive barks or snarls. We picked up a couple of other dogs at one point--a border collie and huge staffie--and had to hide the ball until they went away. Now I've got to spend four or five hours working on an essay, but at least I got out for a bit whilst I had the opportunity to!

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love seminars! Lola will pick up on that stuff so fast.

Sophie said...

I've never been to one before - mostly because I can't drive yet, and there aren't any in my general train-route area! I'm hoping this will be great though; it sounds it. :)

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It is very cool that you are going to that seminar!! I bet you will love it! And I am looking forward to hearing all about it!

I sure don't miss the days of writing essays and papers! Hope your's goes well!