'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 22 April 2011

Lola, Queen of the Waves.


Lola's getting much better about going in water! Apparently trying to drown her yesterday didn't scar her too badly. She was happy to wade through the stream in this park, the deepest of which went up to her belly, in order to retrieve her beloved balltug. A week or so ago, she was too leery of the water to set even a paw in it, and it took a full half an hour to get her in at all.

I'm going to try, sometime during the summer (maybe after my exams), taking her to the reservoir and dragging her in there. The only thing is I'm 99% sure that there may be crocodiles or demons or something in there; there's often creepy shapes under the water. I don't much fancy being devoured by some watery beast, but the res is so deep that I'd have to go in with Lola to keep her happy.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I think dogs either LOVE water or hate it. OK< maybe there is an inbetween...I think Oreo will tolerate it, but would rather avoid it.

Lola seems like she has a good sense of adventure, and I bet she will end up loving the water!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I've tried to get Ricky to like to swim for several summers now - he just doesn't. But he loves to play in the water on the shoreline.

I think I would skip swimming in the reservoir if there are crocodiles or demons!

Sophie said...

Lola started out not really liking the water, but now she is getting quite indifferent to it. I just wish there was an indoor pool anywhere near us that I could take her to; I bet she'd absolutely love that!