'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 1 April 2011

Rounding up the Week.


Lola's learning a job right now. We've done about five sessions - she will now fetch my hairbrush to me, single command and mostly without dropping, if I put it somewhere in easy sight in another room when she's not watching, or will launch herself up the stairs (and into the bathtub!) to fetch it if I throw it.

The next step is to teach her to get the brush without me first moving it. When she finally "gets" it, it's going to be her morning job - a cold fetch, either in the room or from another.

It's been interesting to teach her this: she did not want to do more than lightly nibble it at first, and if we hadn't done quite a lot of shaping work before I don't think we'd have progressed so fast; by the end of the second session, she was haphazardly fetching it for me if I threw it a couple of metres away.

Even if this "job" falls flat, it'll do good for her to learn that, yes, she can pick things other than her toys, chews and beloved ball. Next up will be teaching her to fetch her collar/lead, which I bet she'll pick up pretty quickly if it means she can go out for walkies!

Oh, and Lola did a one-minute, cold sit-stay in the living room a few days ago. We had a fantastic puppy party, just for her!

3 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It's great that Lola progressed to picking up a hair brush so easily! Ricky has really struggled with fetching and still finds certain items too difficult. Sounds like you are doing an amazing job teaching retrieving to Lola! And woohoo on the 1 minute sit-stay!!

Sara said...

Wonderful job! Picking things up can lead to so many new tricks. You'll have to show us sometime on tricky t-day.

A one minute stay? Wow!

Sophie said...

Thanks Ricky! You're a clever boy too, and we do need to work on the hairbrush trick more so that she can do it from cold. She still needs the brush to be placed or thrown the first couple of times.

I think I know what we're doing this Tuesday, Sara! :) It won't be the hairbrush trick, because I'm going to leave that until we're more developed. And one minute doesn't sound like much, but it's a big leap for my silly, hyper puppy!