'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Sometimes, I don't think Lola is quite normal.

Here's a couple (a lot) of pictures from the last few days to prove it.



I've also decided that I'm not going to be going to the puppy training anymore. I've been thinking long and hard about it, after seeing that the trainer for the Bronze class is the same trainer as for Starters, and was popping the collar of a border collie that was attending there. I don't want to go there only to leave five minutes later because ohemgee Lola is dominant and must be put in her place. Lola's also been more barky toward other dogs on-leash since last class, which is entirely the opposite of what I want.

So until I have access to a car, and can go to a positive training class, there's no more puppy classes for Ro, as the nearest class is about an hour and a half's walk/train each way, whilst it's only about ten or fifteen minutes by car.

4 comments:

Robin Sallie said...

I skipped puppy classes for the most part with Via. I could find positive classes okay but I'd rather not have the distraction of other puppies until I've trained the needed behaviors. Then I use the classes to work on the known behaviors with distractions. We did and will continue to set up puppy play dates.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

You're smart to do what is best for your dog! Wish I had been as smart as you when I started training Ricky!

Sophie said...

Robin: I used our previous puppy classes to work on Lola's tricks with distractions, mostly. She's got a pretty rock-solid stay under minimal distractions, and the classes did help get her up to ten seconds or so with massive distractions (barking, lunging puppies). The only problem for me is that I can't set up puppy play dates because all of the dogs that my friends own, we see fairly regularly anyway (including Lola's brother!), but I do encourage her to play with similarly-aged dogs at the park.

Ricky, I like to think I'm smart ;) I'm really just pretty indecisive though.

An English Shepherd said...

Agree with positive training :-)