'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 25 April 2011

Tape Measures are the Devil.


According to Lola, that is. Over the last couple of days, even me moving the thing makes her flinch and scamper away. We're going to have to go back to don't-be-scared 101, so that I can work up to touching her with it again (she's still eleven inches or so tall at the withers, and she's maybe twelve and a half long). Until then, all weekly/Sunday Summaries are going to have to be postponed. I think the puppy is having her fear period - she's never really been bothered by the tape measure before, but now it is a Really Bad Thing.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Poor Lola! I'm kind of scared of those things myself...especially the kind on the automatic reels.

Lola has the BEST face.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Maybe she wouldn't mind the cloth kind of tape measure - the one for sewing?

Cute picture of Lola with the dandelions!

Jen said...

Heya! Fear periods are funny things! She will figure it out with a little time/patience, and perhaps some yummy treats. Is she food motivated?

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

Sophie said...

Sara, I'm always a bit worried of catching myself on the thing too - maybe she's picked up a little on that, and it's just made her more nervous. She really does have a silly little face :)

Ricky, I could try that! I'm just going to work on desensitising her to it for now though, so she's able to tolerate it at least; it's a good training opportunity. (I didn't even realise she was posing with the flowers until you pointed that out!)

Jen, she definitely is food motivated. I'm going to try today with some ham and chicken slices, which she absolutely loves. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it quickly.