'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 5 April 2011

Tricky T-Day: Piggyback.


Tricky T-Day: Piggyback.

This is a trick that Lola picked up really quickly, and that we haven't done much work on other than a couple of reps yesterday. We did it cold for the video. She probably finds it so easy because, alongside the verbal cue, there's also a very clear body cue - I don't move or bend like that for nothing!

Also, please ignore the dressing gown: if I didn't wear it, my back would be cut to ribbons by puppy nails. I've learned that the hard way.

3 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Lola's piggyback is awesome!! I love that trick! She fearlessly jumps up on your shoulder - how cool. I doubt Ricky would ever do that!

Sara said...

Wow! Awesome trick!

I think it would take me a long time to teach that to Oreo. I'm going to give it a shot though. Thanks for the idea!

Sophie said...

She does enjoy silly things like this! The hardest part was to shape her to put her paws up on my back - she very much likes to be in front of me when we're training. After that, it took only a couple of reps to get her to leap up. Silly, crazy terrier puppy!