'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 24 May 2011

Silly Lola!


Lola l-o-v-e-s cat chaser toys. I had one for Jess before we got Lola, and that has since been ripped apart; and since the shooting of this video (yesterday!), the poor purple snake has been decapitated and had its stomach ripped open in several places. Lola still loves playing with it though; I think it just stimulates her prey drive too much for her to be able to leave it alone for long once I get it out.

Our intended tricky t-day video is going to have to wait, possibly until next week! Neither dog is cooperating with it, but I'm persistent so we'll get there eventually. It doesn't help that Lola's been getting a lot of her meals spent on treibball and crating, which doesn't leave much time for trick training!

So, in lieu of a tricky t-day video, I'd like to share a quick video of Lola's 'blitz', which has been shown before - but we've never to this extent. She gets treats for 'blitz' maybe one in six or seven reps, but she doesn't seem to be any less enthusiastic about jumping at me, does she? :)

3 comments:

An English Shepherd said...

Obviously chasing is fun :-)

saralovesdogs said...

I just shot a video of Chewy playing with his pricey chase it toy. Maybe I should have bought him a cat toy!

Lola's blitz is amazing!

K-Koira said...

My dogs love the cat string toys too, so I bought them a giant version of it. A lunge whip (like for a horse) with a tug toy tied on the end drives them crazy. They love it, and can exhaust themselves while I stay standing in one place.