'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 10 May 2011

Tricky T-Day: Take A Bow.


Tricky T-Day: Take A Bow.

This has taken far, far too long to get her to learn, but we've got it pretty good now! After I took this video, I experimented to see how well she knew it by giving the cue from an upright kneel, then from standing, and then giving the cue amidst other cues to see how well she could discriminate. She did great, with about 95% first-time response, so I'm calling this done.

I also looked yesterday at one of the local dog shelters connected with my area's dog warden, and saw that a certain tri-coloured chunky Staffie cross has been adopted. Fantastic! I hope her new home treats her well.

4 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Aww.. super cute! Good job Lola!

K-Koira said...

Koira knows how to bow, but apparently only if I am on the ground with her, which makes it was less impressive. I find it easy to teach a trick, but hard to finish one to the point where the cue gains the proper response from any position.

Sara said...

That's the cutest bow ever. I love how her tail is wagging when she bows.

An English Shepherd said...

Great bow :-)