'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Saturday, 7 May 2011

Yesterday and Today.


For Lola, despite the good news in regards to her legs, yesterday was a Bad Day. She had three barkfests at people - two were understandable (young child very nearly running into us and woman appearing 'suddenly' out from behind counter at vets after the vet had been flexing her legs), one not so much. The last episode happened when we were out on a walk; after Lola had had the zoomies trying to get one of her boyfriends to chase her, she barked at his owner, who she usually just watches without much fuss.

I intended today to take her out into town and work hard on Look At That games, but the weather was atrocious, so when it cleared up I headed quickly out to the park to play fetch. She ignored several screaming children in favour of her ball, which was nice; but then we were caught out in a sudden heavy rain/hailstone blast, which wasn't so nice. We were both soaked, and at one point, when she kept pulling when holding her ball on the way home, I shouted at her. She cringed the rest of the way home, and I gave her a huge cuddle to say sorry. My poor baby girl is very sensitive.

If it's nice tomorrow, we're going to go out and do some agility foundation training again. She seems to have forgiven my bad mood, but I still feel guilty. Jess can handle anything I dish out, whilst Lola sometimes comes creeping over even if I interrupt their play with a quick 'hey.'

3 comments:

Sara said...

Sounds like Lola is what people around here call a "soft dog". I think it's nice to have a sensitive dog. They usually form an awesome bond with their human.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Ricky seems sensitive about some things but he sure can handle a super loud "HEY!" - LOL! Don't feel guilty - I am sure Lola has already let it go.

Sophie said...

Lola is definitely a "soft dog" - and she certainly is more bonded to me than Jess. I do forget that they are different dogs though, and the pressure that Jess can take (the pressure she often *needs*) can be enough to make Lola shut down quite a lot.

I think she's forgiven me now though, after a couple of biscuits :)