'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 12 June 2011

Of Puppies and Sleepovers.


My friend Kelly slept over on Friday night, and it all went quite smoothly. Lola certainly isn't smitten with her--by any stretch of the imagination--but she only barked twice when Kelly first came in (and immediately shushed when I told her that thatw as enough), approached her a couple of times with a wiggly butt, and even let her stroke her a couple of times.

She growled three times on Friday night (between 7 and 12, when Kelly arrived and then when we went to sleep), two of which were for 'legitimate' reasons: once when Kelly pinched me and I squealed, and another time when I was playing a music video she hated and she put her hands over her ears and hummed very loudly. Lola was definitely unnerved the latter time; she is weirded out by strange/abnormal sounds.

Since only friends that Lola likes have slept in my bed since I got her, she had a great difficulty settling down, and it took five or so minutes of her getting up, staring at Kelly, moving away, moving back to lie down next to me, and so on, until she finally laid down and went to sleep. Then it was fine until the morning, whereupon she barked at Kelly when she returned from a toilet break - I think she'd been woken up by it, and was reacting to 'protect' me/the bed.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Any change in the normal routine can be tough for dogs. I think Lola did great!

Bailey Be Good! said...

Awww, Lola! I've never had someone sleep over. I bet I'd be possessive of my stuffz too!

Woofs & hugs,

~Bailey

An English Shepherd said...

I do have a sleep in sometimes ;-)

Nat said...

Sounds like Lola handled it well!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I think Lola did really well with your friend that she didn't know. Each of these good experiences should help her in the future.