'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 30 June 2011

Tricky T-Day v2 - Jumping Jess.


Taught this to Jess in about twenty minutes. There's no verbal cue for it really, and I'll probably never do it again because I forgot that Jess likes to really dig her nails in, apparently especially when she's trusting you to catch her.

My stomach has huge raised marks on it, including one that was oozing blood for half an hour after we shot the video. Ouch.

3 comments:

Sara said...

It's so nice to see Jess get a staring role! I had the hardest time teaching this to Oreo. You make it look so easy.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

good job with jess! sorry about your stomach though...

K-Koira said...

Ouch, sounds painful. Pallo does a similar trick, only when I'm standing straight up (I normally give him my knee to launch off of). Its given me some nice gouges from his nails too...