'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 17 July 2011

Day 7: The Day That Did Not Happen.

Today's weather has basically not stopped being hideous up until about ten minutes ago (and walking through town after 11pm doesn't sound like a great idea to me). It has been a mixture of very heavy rain and the horribly persistent drizzle of yesterday, so I decided against taking Lola out in it this morning, and then couldn't take her out all day as it just got steadily worse. We played some rainy day games, did some training, let her have her boomer ball, and the rest of the time all three of us were just snuggled up in blankets. It's been cold, wet and miserable - a traditional British summer day!

Hopefully tomorrow is clear at least (and preferably warm), so I can take her out at least once, as I'll be busy Tuesday--first driving lesson since December at 11am, then seeing the final Harry Potter film at 1pm--so she'll only get a quick trot around town early in the morning, or after I get back.

I'm still reading Brenda Aloff's 'Aggression In Dogs', and it really is a must-read for reactive dog owners. I'm about a quarter of the way through, and she's covered more in that hundred pages than most other books do in three hundred. It's fantastic.

3 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Bummer about the weather! We hope to see the HP movie this week too!

Sara said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll have to check that out.

Sometimes a day off can do a world of good. I hope your weather improves tomorrow. Funny, because it is so sunny, hot and humid here, I was just thinking, "I wish we'd get some rain"!

Ci Da said...

You might get some good info out of McConnell's most recent blog entry:

http://www.theotherendoftheleash.com/