'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

Just A Little Bit Tricky.

Not quite Tricky T-day material, but tricky still! Below are the videos of Lola's second and third encounter with the gym ball. I'm still keeping an eye out for a peanut shaped ball, as K-Koira suggested, but I haven't seen any yet so we're just working on building Lola's confidence on this weird, moving thing.



Lola's new harness (and backpack, but I'm waiting for her to be a little older before we start playing with that) arrived yesterday. I took her out last night in it, encouraging her to pull. She got the idea quite quickly, and enjoyed really pulling against it. At the moment I'm going to take her out in it a couple times a week, encouraging her to pull, and when she's older it'll be used for jogging in.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I have the peanut, as well as the disc. Maybe Lola would like the balance disc, because it is low to the ground. Misty loved it, and Chewy does too. I think they sell the disc for humans, so maybe that would be easier to find than the peanut. I'll have to post a video of Chewy on the disc.

Lola is definitely getting braver on the ball though!

K-Koira said...

She is definitely more confident about it this time. My experience with my dogs was it took a little bit to get used to, then they realized that being on the ball = treats.
I've seen the peanut balls at K-mart (for humans, so keep toenails trimmed if using for dogs). I lucked out and got the large oblong ball at a garage sale.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

lola is getting very confident on that ball!

Bailey Be Good! said...

Lola is adorable up on the exercise ball! I have a video of me laying on our exercise ball a few months ago, but sadly it SOMEHOW got a hole in it and we had to throw it away. Doh!

Woofs & hugs,

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)