'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 22 July 2011

Lola Gave Birth...

...To two healthy, fluffy white puppies.


Each pup is about a handful, and both have been homed to Mr and Mrs Trashbin.

I got about half a handful just off of Lola's forelegs, because it's been about three or so weeks since I last gave her a 'proper' hand stripping. The tips of my fingers are raw and stinging, but that's not all we've been up to lately!

Yesterday I took Lola to a place I've only been to twice before with Jess - and there was a lot of rabbits. Lola went crazy chasing their scents (when we saw them, I gave them a headstart to avoid any bunny deaths) and recalled nigh on perfectly each time I called her back to me. And then after she'd been rushing through bushes and various vegetation, she was blinking a lot, pawing at her face and shaking her head. She also had squints in both eyes, but especially on the white side, which was very red, as were the tips of her ear undersides. I booked her in for a vet appointment this morning, as although she was perkier she was still squinting, but the vet said not to worry, that it was likely pollen and to bring her in on Monday if she's still bad (she's nearly back to normal now).

But a Great Thing happened at the vets! Before we went in, we were in the waiting room with an old collie that was staring hard across at Lola. I was tense anyway, imagining the worst ('your dog is going to die in x hours', for instance) and when Lola looked at it, I told her tersely to 'leave it.' And she did! She looked at it a couple times, relaxed; she didn't bark or growl or posture in any way.

And then in the vet room itself, she took several treats from the vet - both before and after the woman handled her face (which she's sensitive about anyway). After the procedure she was trying to claw up my legs and hide behind me a little, but after a couple moments of me ignoring her she was creeping back to sniff the woman's hand, and then took a couple more treats from her. They stunk to high heaven (mm, fish treats) but apparently they were just what she needed to get her motivated enough to take them.

She didn't bark at anyone there or back either, when usually after visiting the vets she can be a little quicker to react for the next half hour or so, and I celebrated when we got home by giving both dogs the roasted bones we've had for about a month.

Both dogs have now thrown up (Jess three times, Lola once). You win some, you lose some!

2 comments:

Sara said...

What a busy and successful couple of days! Yay Lola!

K-Koira said...

Very cute babies, Lola.