'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Wednesday, 20 July 2011

Obnoxious Children: Wednesday edition.


This video was able to show Lola working "thanks" to a screaming female child, who you can probably hear. I don't even know why she was screaming--she was pushing a pram and seemed happy about it, but then randomly just screamed so I just don't know. Children are weird.

As you can see, Lola handled the screaming child (who was nice and far away) pretty well. That wasn't all we dealt with, as in this 3:30-4:10 slot we were stood in the parking lot that a lot of the kids go through when they're let out. She did really well, handling herself quite nicely. At one point, a small boy went past clutching his mum's hand - he'd come running to the lot earlier and then backtracked upon seeing me and Lola. His mum looked at my teeny tiny super-dangerous dog and seemed amused at his fear. Lola, despite being interested in him, did well and didn't so much as lift her hackles or strain the leash, which was nice.

What wasn't so nice was the obnoxious girl children that, when they saw Lola, squealed loudly and stalked me across the lot. I didn't even realize they were following me as I moved around--I'd introduced that today; Lola not losing her cool when we're moving and there's a lot of children--until they were about two metres away and one said something like, 'AWWW! What's she called?!'

'Lola.' Moving quickly away.

They kept stalking me and I had to move constantly between them and Lola to keep everyone happy. My pup wasn't too impressed - I was stressed and anxious (I don't like strange children at the best of times myself anyway), and here was a pair of girls annoying her. She growled once, and I gave her a mild verbal correction (a quick, quiet 'no') and redirected her to a down. She didn't bark, lunge, lift her hackles or stare too much, though, so I'm not too bothered. She's still doing really well.

As we were heading back home (since the 'town/kids' trip sort of turned to me staying on the parking lot to practice LAT, movement and some BAT with dogs and kids, as you can kind of see in this video if I'm doing it right), I turned a corner and there was a young boy sat on his (stationary) bike. Lola saw him. A month ago, I'd have put money on her barking, if not lunging.

She looked up at me, and trotted next to me as I moved quickly back, for a jackpot of hotdog and liver. The boy was able to get past, and was even polite enough to thank me for moving myself and the pup out of his way, without anyone getting stressed.

4 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Fantastic job dealing with the kids today - both you and Lola did really well! The training is paying off!

Tanner and Beth said...

Sounds like things are going really well with your training. Glad Lola is doing so well.

Puppy Kisses,
Tanner

Sara said...

When the kid asked what's her name, I would've said, "Killer" :)

Lola does a great job focusing on you, and I thik she likes the BAT stuff a lot.

Bailey said...

Sadly some children need more training than our dogs. It is rewarding when our dogs do well in stressful situations that could be avoided if parents took the time to teach their children how to behave around dogs.

The screaming child things seems to be rewarded. I see parents here who think its funny. Thus Jr. and Princess are encouraged to improve their skills, volume, and painful notes.