'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 10 July 2011

Queen and Princess.


Lately I've been teaching Lola to pull in her new padded harness. She caught on in the first time, and has clearly made the distinction between collar=loose leash, harness=pull. At the moment, a half hour walk in the harness tires her out about as much as half an hour or playing fetch, so that's pretty good! I'm hoping that when she's old enough, I'll be able to use the harness for jogging with her in; I'm sure she won't mind pulling me along if I go slow.

Next week, we won't be doing tricky t-day because we're going to be going, twice a day (at meal-times) up town. I should have really been doing this already, but I am by nature an incredibly lazy person.

Plan of action:
- Monday: click/treat up 5 times for each person. Two sessions.
- Tuesday: c/t up to 4 times for each person. Two sessions.
- Wednesday: c/t up to 3 times for each person. Two sessions.
- Thursday: c/t up to 2 times for each person. Two sessions.
- Friday: c/t once for each person. Two sessions.
- Saturday: c/t once for every two people. Two sessions.
- Sunday: c/t up to 2 times for every three people. Two sessions.

I'll obviously use more treats if I need to to stop a reaction, but this is the plan. I'll be playing fetch for half an hour with Lola before we head out each time, and she'll also get her usual middayish fetch-walk outdoors. For the week after, I'm going to try and arrange to meet people to c/t for them progressively getting closer to us... but I'm not sure if that will happen or not.

At some point during the week, we should also be visiting chickens, and Lola will be learning that there is a time and place for prey drive. I'll have her muzzle handy, and she'll be on a harness and leash at all times, to make sure there's no risk to the chickens. I'm hoping that seeing her brother and mother mingle with the chicks will help her realise even more that, no, she is not allowed to hurt them. But we'll see!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Wow! What a wonderful plan you have in place. Looking forward to hearing how thing go.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

great plan sophie! good luck and let us know how it goes!