'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Yesterday!

Throw the ball throw the ball THROW THE BALL
Lola has such a dumb/funky body structure, it constantly amuses me

Yesterday was good. Lola barked once at a person (a man in a baseball cap who walked up behind us - I only noticed him from about a metre away, and Lola barked almost immediately after), but other than that she was very good!

When we were at the park, a strange Cairn came up to Lola whilst she had her ball. She dropped the ball to sniff the dog--cautiously, hackles up--but didn't start anything after I told her quietly to 'leave it'. I picked the ball up and rewarded her good behaviour with a hard throw of the ball in the opposite direction, and she went charging off after it. We also saw a couple dogs during the day, and she was good with all of them.

Yesterday marked the first "real" day (well--not including today, ha!) of our new exercise schedule. And the difference is obvious: today we've been busy and, well, lazy, so the girls have only had a single hour/half mostly off-leash walk playing fetch, with some training this morning. But Lola has been dead-to-the-world asleep for the vast majority of the day, and when I went driving she didn't put up much of a fuss.

I'm looking forward tomorrow to giving her a good throughout-the-day workout again, and seeing how this impacts on her reactivity.

5 comments:

Sara said...

I think it is wonderful that you can reward Lola's good behavior with a toy throw. I wish I could do that with Oreo, but he'll only play with toys at home. I think play is a better stress reliever than anything else.

An English Shepherd said...

Sounds like a good day :-)

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Sara is right - Ricky would look at me as if I were nuts if I threw the ball for him as a reward!

Keep up the good work - glad Lola had such a successful day!

Diana said...

Thats wonderful!! Good work!

Winnie said...

Lola is beautiful.

Glad you two had such a good day.

Love and licks, Winnie