'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 14 August 2011

Dog Breed Selector.

I decided to do the Animal Planet Dog Breed Selector test today, since I don't have much to do. The results kind of amuse me.

Compatibility with Breeds:
Irish Setter - 100% (my mum had one of these when she was a child--I have no interest in the breed though)
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever - 100% (a breed already on my list of future pets)
Australian Cattle Dog - 99% (again, a breed I want in the future)
Australian Shepherd - 99% (another breed I eventually want to own)
Border Collie - 99% (and yet another breed I want in the future - desperately so!)
German Wirehaired Pointer -99% (I'm not a huge fan of these, though they're cool lookin' dawgs)
Parson Russell Terrier - 99% (good to know I'm compatible with JRT/PRTs, eh?)

None of this helps me with my recent thoughts about what dog I'll get next. At the moment it's kind of narrowed down to herder or terrier... which really, really doesn't help. I think I'm doomed to a life of owning sensitive, needy, intense dogs. Welp.

8 comments:

Sara said...

Sensitive, needy dogs are a challenge, but I think they are so much more rewarding.

K-Koira said...

Wow, I just went over and took the test too. Not a single one of the breeds suggested in the top 10 are breeds I have ever had any desire to own...

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I took the test too - I am only 92% compatible with Shelties!! But that's not what Ricky says - LOL!

Bailey Be Good! said...

I asked mommy to take the test too! She answered the questions as if she was looking for a doggie like me, and a Belgian Shepherd came up 95%! Mommy says that she wishes she knew what other breeds I am, 'cause there are a few things that are not what she was looking for! BOL

Woofs & hugs <3,

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

An English Shepherd said...

What no English Shepherds ! ;-)

Tanner and Beth said...

Mommy says some of you people are just so special that you are drawn to us doggies who really need your help. Thanks for being the special kind of person you are. Your willingness to love our imperfections makes our relationships so special.

Puppy kisses,
Tanner

p.s. Check my blog today, I left something for you!

E. said...

I love these tests. I take them obsessively and then cross-reference to narrow down the top 3 breeds that come up from various sites. I am *that* much of a dog nerd. However, these quizzes seem to always ignore my "low-medium" exercise requirements.....'cuz I'm apparently 99% compatible with: Curly-Coated Retrievers (high energy), Spinones (medium energy at best-different type of energy than most field dogs but still!)98% with Saluki(the only one that sort of makes sense) Welsh Springer Spaniels (high energy) and 97% with Foxhounds (high), Beagles(high), Black and Tan Coonhounds (high) and Canaan Dogs (medium).

Seriously, how does low energy ever equate a retriever?

mahamoda maya said...

This is the most beautiful post ever. Thank you for sharing this .In our city there is a man with a beautiful website advertising home raised designer breed puppies. He lives in a beautiful neighborhood and lives in an expensive home. He gets the pups from a puppy mill and resells them to the locals, splitting the profits with the mill owners. He only incriminated himself when he bragged to coworkers how it played for his yearly vacations. Looking for large dog breeds for families Wondering what large dog breeds are good with kids or would be good for apartments Find out here A complete list of large dog breeds