'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 28 August 2011

I'm never good at sticking to plans...

At least today, my lack of ability to stick to the plan wasn't my fault.

...Well, it kind of was.

It seems like Lola's stomach has a maximum capacity... and since she had more than twice as much food (very nearly three times as much, I think) as usual yesterday, the vast majority of which was high value and very rich, seemed to have upset her stomach.

She was slightly subdued this morning, though her usual crazy self when she got to act as my mum's alarm clock. When I took her out for her "long walk" before the plan of going to the fair, she only played fetch less than a dozen times, then started refusing food and refusing to fetch. Since neither of those things are like her, I was bemused until she started eating grass--which, again, is unlike her--and lying and sitting down quite a lot.

Poor girl threw up four or five times, and her stool went from normal to liquid very quickly over the twenty or thirty minutes we were out. She's been fairly subdued all day, but once we got home and wrapped up under blankets, she was okay. I cooked some pasta for her and she's had a handful or so an hour.

She has only peed since this morning (nearly twelve hours since we were at the park), but all she's had is about half a bowl of pasta, and she emptied herself this morning. Her stomach isn't swollen or hard, and she's definitely perked up a lot now, especially since our walk at around 7. I'm keeping an eye on her though, and I think tomorrow we won't be going to the funfair either, unless she is magically back to 100%.

In other news, I booked my practical driving test today, for Thursday 13th October. Expect a lot of nervous posts about it nearer the time!

Also, My Life with Flyball Dogs has tagged me to do the Seven Posts blog challenge, which I'll do tomorrow. I'm tired out from my hard day of cuddling a puppy.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Poor Lola. That has happened to Oreo before as well....lots of rewards, led to a not so good time the next day.

I'm sure she'll be feeling much better tomorrow.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Hope Lola is feeling better. I am sorry I have gotten so far behind on reading blogs and hope to get back to commenting on your's regularly because I enjoy reading about your activities!