'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 19 September 2011

And so it begins...

University has started again, as of today, which means I'm in for another year of early mornings and early nights. It's been pretty heavy on my mind the last week or so, hence the fairly sporadic posts (and that I haven't posted on blogs - I'll be catching up tomorrow though!), but once I get into the rhythm again everything should be fine. Lola had to deal with being home alone (with Jess) for around six hours today, and it will be the same again on Friday. She didn't poop anywhere (in fact, when I got home and let her out she immediately went in the yard) but she DID pee - on my bed! Not cool. She has an aversion to toileting on things like beds, couches and blankets, and has only ever peed on the bed once before (when she was young, shortly after I moved upstairs for overnight because I was sleeping too deeply to awake when she wanted to go). The only thing I can think of is that it was because of excitement - she sometimes has problems (very rarely, mind) with controlling her bladder when excited, and we had at least two attempted deliveries of things today, which would have led to a lot of excited barking. Silly dog. Tomorrow my mum is off work to look after the dogs (it's my LONG day - they would be alone around eleven hours otherwise, eurgh!) and then I don't have university again until Friday. Not bad! Hope all of you are happy and well, and like I said we will catch up soon!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, it is so tough to get back into a routine again.

11 hours is a VERY long day. You are going to be a tired girl, and Lola will want to play, play play when you get home. :)

Jen said...

Hang in there, you can do it!! Good luck this year in school!!

Jen and the Black Dog Crew

Ricky the Sheltie said...

Good luck with this year at school! You'll be fine once you get into the swing of things again. Glad to know your mom is around for the dogs on your long, long day!