'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 3 October 2011

Mousey Monday.

So, the mice have been here for just shy of a week now, and they are settling in great. The dogs are still both fairly interested in the tank and it's glorious substrate and rodent smell, but Lola is able to relax and nap in her crate when I have the mice out in their handling tub. It's only if the mice are on direct eye level for a period of time that she starts to get whiny and intense about them being there. But for a decently prey driven terrier who hasn't before encountered non-prey prey critters, she isn't doing bad. The mice are all becoming increasingly confident; today, two of the mice took food from my hand (with one--Tosca--sitting on my hand to munch the seed) when said hand was in their tank. They are more nervous of the Hand when in the tank, because I've spent less time hanging out near it (something I'm hoping to change asap) so that was nice. I've gotta say though, so far it is pretty clear that mice are a lot harder to photo than dogs when you have a camera with a very crappy shutter speed!

5 comments:

Tanner and Beth said...

Hope you can come by my blog. I am doing a give-away. would love to have you check out the prize.

Puppy Kisses,
Tanner

Ricky the Sheltie said...

I think it is awesome that Lola is doing so well around the mice!

Bailey Be Good! said...

Do your mousies roll around the floor in one of those hamster balls? Teehee!

Woofs & hugs, <3

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

Sara said...

Lola is a good girlie! She obviously has some self control.

Winnie said...

Mice are nice, the LOTH says.

I killed one in the garden but I didn't mean to. I was only playing.

Sounds like you are doing a good job of keeping mice and dogs happy (and safely apart). Top job!!

Love and licks, Winnie