'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Sunday, 16 October 2011

Shopaholic.

This dog?

This is a dog who it is nearly impossible to get a coat for. To keep her fully warm, she needs a 14'' coat (which ends juuuust before the base of her tail)... but she's so damn slender that the velcro straps for the coat don't work as needed. The shop had no 12'', and she really needs a coat before it gets colder, so I ended up getting a 14'' and adding my own velcro straps to it. Sheesh, dog, you're lucky I love you.

Speaking of which: I shouldn't be allowed to go to the pet shop. Alongside the creepy chicken foot pictured above (I got two--Lola carried home the one I'm holding in the photo and ate that when we got back, and the other is for some other time), I got two pig tails, a water bowl, a treat ball, a ten pack of 10'' rawhide, a dog coat and reflective dog vest, and a wooden chew/climbing thing and a 3l tub of mealworms for the mice.

I shouldn't be allowed to go to that pet shop.

4 comments:

Ricky the Sheltie said...

LOL! We're going to the pet store today and I'll try to learn from your experience - :)

Sara said...

Yes, dog stuff is soooo tempting!

I've never found a dog coat that fit "just right", always had to alter them.

An English Shepherd said...

Coat? Chip has a suitcase full, very sad...

Sharon Creech said...

A chicken foot? Pig tails? Mealworms? ewwwwwww