'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 21 October 2011

Sleep on, Ollie.

Yesterday I went with my friend to get his nine ish year old, terrified of everything, reactive as hell, dog put to sleep. It was the first time I'd ever seen a dog PTS, and it was pretty awful.

Ollie struggled and panicked when it happened, but he isn't scared anymore now.

4 comments:

Sara said...

I'm sorry. That must have been really difficult to watch.

Everytime I had a dog PTS, it was very peaceful. I hope it is that way next time.

Poor Ollie, being terrified is not a good way to live a life. No fears for him now.

Ricky the Sheltie said...

So sad but nice to know Ollie is now at peace. Putting a pet to sleep is awful - I've been there for two of my cats but not yet for a dog and I don't want to face thoughts of that yet.

Jen said...

Oh! I am so sorry to hear this. Hugs to you and yours!

Jen and the BDC

Bailey Be Good! said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's doggie. I'm sending lotsa woofs & hugs your way! :)

~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)