'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Thursday, 10 November 2011

Jealousy.

I'm still working (slowly... slowly...) on increasing Lola's tug drive, and her general desire to get things. Part of this involves playing a lot of tug (general tug toys, tugs covered in rabbit scent, flirt pole), and I had a brainwave this evening of making her watch Jess play first. Use that competitive jealousy for good.


(You might want to mute this video! I had music on, didn't realise it was so loud!)


(Only the growling sounds come from Jess!)

Unfortunately Jess wasn't quite up for it, but even though Lola was pretty tired (she pretty much had a drink and collapsed after the first video, and I let her lie for a few minutes before crating her and letting Jess out to play) she really dived for the tug.

Now my hands are aching and rubbed raw.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Funny how some dogs tug naturally, and other dogs have to "learn" it.

Anyone who says dogs don't feel jealousy has never lived with two dogs!

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It's good that you keep working on Lola's tug drive. I wish I had done that more with Ricky. BTW, I like your "stand on the table" method! :)

Winnie said...

That looks so much fun!! Can I come and live in your house where everyone gets to stand on the furniture? That would be so cool!

Love and licks, Winnie