'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 4 November 2011

Sound Sensitivity, again.

A few months ago I posted about how my dogs were reacting to storms. Right now there's some fireworks being set off.

Lola is asleep on the back of the chair. Jess is a trembling, creeping mess, even with music turned up LOUD on the television.

For a dog I'd generally describe as 'sound sensitive', Lola is really not bothered by storms or fireworks. On the other hand, my stable, patient, calm old dog is reduced to a mess at least twice a year (Bonfire Night and New Years Eve). Friends that have been here whilst fireworks have been going off know that she turns into a "creeper", just wandering around trying to find comfort that somehow doesn't magically solve the problem for her. Poor dog.

Tomorrow is Bonfire Night, and I'm interested to see how Lola reacts to a whole night of fireworks. I'm also going to try and prepare some sort of den for Jess to hide in, and see if I can coax her into there.

If any of y'all have Bonfire Night tomorrow (it is a British thing, I think), good luck with your pooches!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oreo isn't affected by fireworks or storms either. Really weird.

I wonder what makes some dogs afraid?

Ricky the Sheltie said...

It's too bad that Jess can't relax during fireworks like Lola. Hope Bonfire Night isn't too bad for her.