'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Mice: Wheatley update!

The dogs aren't doing that much at the moment, and the girl mice are awaiting their new wire cage to arrive so that maybe they'll get more social too, so I guess it's time for more boy-mouse.

I've got to say, I understand now why people say that male mice smell more. Wheatley's cage doesn't need cleaning, and it doesn't smell gross or anything, but there is a definite strong 'mouse' smell to him that the girls just don't have.

But he's so friendly. He's nibbled a couple of times (fingers, my [i]palm[/i], dressing gown, jeans, blanket...) and nipped hard once, but it isn't from fear or aggression - just curiosity: 'Can I eat this thing? How about this thing? How about now?'

Lola is very good with him. Obviously he smells more than the girls, and his cage at the moment is just on the living room table when I'm downstairs; but she pretty much consistently ignores him. Yesterday and today when he was running over my arms exploring, Lola was snoozing pretty much the entire time.

Jess, on the other hand... Grr!

I'm hoping she'll learn to ignore him soon, as she has the girls. And I'm hoping Wheatley will stop being nibbly and will become friends with Lola (though that might be too much to ask even from her).

2 comments:

Diana said...

Glad everything is going well.

Chris and Ricky said...

It's all pretty interesting since I don't have any experience with mice at all!