'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Friday, 1 June 2012

Hello!


I keep meaning to post, and then forgetting. My busy, busy life of doing absolutely nothing is destroying my little mind! Please accept a Lola, begging for forgiveness (and a throw of her ball).

I've finished for summer now, and I'm spending a lot of time exercising my little demon dog. The downside to this is that she's regressed in her alone training; yesterday she was on her own for six or so hours whilst me and a friend went to a museum in Manchester (pictures coming later! it was fantastic!) for her birthday, and when I got back there was a poop/pee explosion all over the floor. Ick. She also peed in her crate in the hour that she was left after I'd walked her.

On the plus side, I've been able to do a lot of conditioning toward other dogs. We've been biking along a pretty extensive canal almost every day, and given that the weather has been absolutely stunning we've usually seen 8-9 other dogs on average. Each time, I've stopped my bike and either picked her up (if the dog is making a beeline toward her) or just fed her for remaining in place as the other dog passes. She's been able to keep her cool with dogs passing within a metre or two; though if they come right up to her, she'll freeze and react. Trying to work on/around that, but it's difficult because it's so reinforcing.

Jess is doing great, but she isn't doing much. The mice are happy in their cages, and they get dried mealworms very often. The girl mice are much less skittish now that they're in wire cages, though the downside to these cages is that the girls are very messy. It's kind of alarming just how much waste they can squish between the bars in a single night! Wheatley remains a good boy though.

I'm currently looking for a part time job, and thinking that I should start researching for my dissertation. That's going to take up basically all of my life next year (especially the first semester, I expect) and I really ought to start on it sooner rather than later. But I also need to remember that I have this here blog, and to come post and comment more often. I miss you all!

4 comments:

Sara said...

Good to hear from you!

Glad you're all doing good.

Diana said...

Im glad everything is going ok. The bike ride sounds sorta fun except the stopping part. LOL.

Tanner and Beth said...

Glad all is going pretty well for you guys. We have been crazy busy here too. The sunshine is hard to resist.

Doggy Kisses,
Tanner

Chris and Ricky said...

We miss you too! But we know you are super busy!