'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 23 July 2012

Flower.

Yesterday morning I discovered two things: Flower had been bitten again overnight, and she had, at some point between then and the last cleaning day (when I do my in-depth checks of each mouse), gotten a massive tumor. I took her up to the vets today, and they confirmed that it was a tumor, and gave me three options: attempt to operate (risky, potentially expensive), leave it, or put to sleep.



Based on the size and location of the tumor, I'd already decided that if it was confirmed to be a tumor by the vet, that I was going to get her pts - if it was a small lump on her leg or back of neck, for example, I might have opted to leave until it got bigger. So, she got put to sleep today. Poor thing.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my, what a large tumor :( You did the right thing, poor baby.

BorderWars said...

Sorry for your loss. Did the vet identify it as a Seroma? I've had a little experience with this in dogs.

http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2010/11/when-its-not-cancer.html

Not sure what the resolution of a Seroma would be in an animal that small and a tumor that large. Hard decision, but very likely the right one.

It's not uncommon for animals that are sick to be attacked too, so there are multiple kindnesses here.

Sophie said...

BorderWars, I'm not sure exactly what kind (?) of tumor it was, but he positively identified it as a tumor.

When he suggested leaving it over operating, I told him that I was wary of putting her back with her cagemate, and he said that she wouldn't have been isolated for long before it would have killed her. I'm not sure if that helps at all in the ID of what kind of tumor it was.

Chris and Ricky said...

Aww..poor Flower. Such a large tumor on such a small mouse. You did do the right thing. So sad though.

Diana said...

Poor thing. It grew fast huh. Sorry you had to do that.

Two Dogs, One Camera said...

Aww I am sorry for your loss. I know it was hard. I know she had the most wonderful life with you! She looked like a sweet girl.