'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Monday, 6 August 2012

Mousey Monday.

Shortly after Flower was pts, one of my other mice had to be seperated because of being bitten in the face by one (or both) of her sisters. Urgh. She also had scruffy fur, which sounds like nothing but has gotten progressively worse--her fur is just grotty looking, though it feels fine. She had diarrhea for a day or two but seems to have gotten over it. I don't think there's anything that the vet could do for her right now, so I'm just waiting it out to see what happens. The only other mouse who's ever been bitten was Flower, and she got a tumour, but I'm hoping that was just coincidence and not a sign that my mice can smell the tumour before it arrives. I don't really want Kinkajou to get a tumour :(




If you look at the tag for the mice, you can see that none of them--even Flower, tumour and all--have this grotty looking fur. It's really weird, but I have no idea what's causing it. The usual problems would be: mites, substrate problems, food allergy, etc. But if I had mites I'd know about it cause they'd all be like it (as the cages have wire bars and are all very close together), the bedding has never changed from Aubiose, and their food hasn't had any new ingredients since at least a month before Flower was pts, and Kinkajou only got the weird fur starting up maybe a day or two before Flower.

I wondered if maybe it was a grooming thing, that she's always previously been groomed by the others and is looking grottier because she's seperate... but Wheatley is on his own and his fur is just fine. I don't know, and since my vet isn't super knowledgable in small animals I don't think they'll be able to help at all. So, for now, having to leave it and see what happens.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Poor mouse :(

Diana said...

I never realized how hard it is raising mice. I hope your mouse feels better soon.