'Not only is punishment risky, but it also fails to teach the dog an acceptable alternate behaviour. The dog does not learn what to do the next time he is in the same situation. He only learns to fear the situation.' Emma Parsons, Click to Calm p73

Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Ratsitting.

Sorry for the absence! I've had nothing to post - it's been crappy weather so not much opportunity for photo taking, we haven't done much of anything, and, well, I've not really been in the mood. But I'm here again now :)

I'm looking after my friend's rats for the next ten or so days. They've been here nearly a day already and I've had a brief rat cuddle, fed a bunch of mealworms and a ripped up mushroom, and generally watched them. They're both very cute, very big girls. The dogs aren't sure what to make of them - Jess wants to eat them of course, but she wants to eat everything; and Lola doesn't really give a damn unless I'm Paying Something Else Attention and then she'll bring me her football and stare at me to kick it.

Adam is a red-eyed white rat, and Eve is a red-eyed Siamese. Eve is the boss rat and a little bit of a bully. She also seemed way more timid at first, but has come round massively; she's the only one of the two I've been able to pick up so far. Adam is nippier - she's slightly blind and doesn't like fingers in her face, as I've come to realise. Offering the back of my hand first before I stroke her seems to be helping.


















No comments: